Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Family Values, The American Way, and The Thai Flesh Trade

Greetings Readers, I am writing to you live from Pattaya Thailand, the home of the largest concentration of prostitutes and sex workers in the world.

Pattaya is also an excellent vacation place with many stimulating mainstream tourist attractions, but Mike's Vacation is not really a travel guide, we strive for much more than that here, so we will leave the family info for the travel channel. I will tastefully go into some depth about subjects that are not automaticly pretty or easy to discuss.

I am not here in Pattaya to moralize or preach to you. I am not here to pass any kind of judgement on the hookers or their "JOHNS".

Moreover, I am here in Thailand to rest and relax from the grind of my life in America, and as long as I am here, I feel that I have a great opportunity for understanding and communicating to my readers/reader about the subjects of what is actually going on here in Pattaya regarding the controversial subject of commercial sex.

I am not a moralist, I am not particularly religous, some people say I am very mainstream and often conservative in my personal views, but I am also a realist, and an out of the box thinker who believes first in fact and logic, and maybe later in emotion and decoration.

I will be reporting over the next few days my observations about what is and is not happening here in Pattaya, and also relating my findings to certain subjects more closely related to life in America, such as social engeneering, political freedoms, and family values, or ( where are we Americans going with all our laws and rules and government intervention, and what should our collective resources and efforts really be put towards.)

So for now, dear readers, (or reader), I must say goodbye as I prepare to present you with some essays and observations and ideas that will hopefully add to the quality of your life, the quality of life in America, and hopefully make the world just a little bit better. Please remember that I don't feel I need to apoligize for the content of this or any of my essays, but perhaps I need to thank the reader in advance for their patience in the upcoming weeks. The subjects at hand will be difficult to read for some, but if I don't speak the truth at Mike's Vacation, if Mike's Vacation is afraid to make credible observations and write honest reports, then WHO will?

At Mike's Vacation I lost my fear a long time ago, I only have my future, and this future is nothing if not honest and credibly constructed.

Live From Pattaya Thailand,
Michael Miller
Indianapolis and the World, 2007

2 comments:

Han CNX said...

Typical case of "Tough assignment, but someone's gotta do it." :-)

Anyway, don't forget Beach Road Soi 6 in the afternoon. :)

Save some for me.

Mike said...

Han, thanks for the support, but I am actually not here on assignment, I only came to Thailand for a vacation. I just figured while I was here, I could grind out something that might be pertinent to the locale. I am actually on Ko Chang now, and let me assure you, this place is nice! You would be surprised how hard it is to write up anything too serious here, so the bulk of my Thai essays may have to wait till I come home.
P.S. Thanks for being a reader (the reader- lol. )
Michael Miller