Saturday, February 3, 2007

AN EMERGENCY TIME OUT FOR THE SUPERBOWL

For decades now the American public has willingly shared their sunday afternoons with the NFL and the SUPERBOWL.

But it seems that now the NFL has threatened American Churches with civil prosecution for holding NFL parties!

I was on my way to work today and noticed a blue and white Santa hat with the Indianapolis Colts emblem displayed on it.

If the Colts (local football team) think it is OK to advertise their team logo on what is clearly an American Christian/Christmas item, then why is it now forbidden for any American Church to hold a "superbowl party" on Superbowl Sunday?

The superbowl exists in its present form because the American public has been willing to "share our Sundays" with the NFL.

But now, the NFL believes that American Churches should not hold "Superbowl Parties"?

Well folks, let me tell you something, I think about as much of the NFL as I do of Church on Sunday, that is to say they are both an equally ridiculous waste of time and money.

However, I do think that I have a sense of fair play, and a decent sense of what represents prudent "social engeneering". I am not sure what kind of society we are engeneering at a Church Superbowl party, but it has got to be better than what kind of world we are engeneering if we allow the NFL to tell us we can't have a church superbowl party.

Our illustrious President, and all of our Govenors and all of our leaders need to go to their nearest church and take part in a "superbowl party" on general principal.

I think it would be better if all of America would just turn off the superbowl, and play cards or go for a walk. But realisticly, as I know the game will be watched on Sunday, it is better to just not only ignore the NFL's warning, but to TAUNT and LAMPOON this warning on all levels possible.

Like I said, I essentially despise football, and church. However, I am so offended at the GREEDY, and SHALLOW, and ARROGANT nature of the NFL for attacking American Church sponsored "superbowl parties" especially "this late in the game" that I am considering putting on some socks and underwear, maybe a belt, maybe even one of my "bought in Bangkok" ties, and going to "church" somewhere and paying attention to whatever minister is speaking. And then signing up for some church activity at whatever random church I land and enjoying the festivities during the superbowl time.

If I have a choice between supporting church on sunday, and the superbowl, can you guess what I will choose.

I realize that church is in the morning, and the kickoff is in the evening, but that isn't the point!

As flawed and ridiculous as it is, an American Church Superbowl party is so much more socially redeeming than the NFL, that it is like comparing what is a better animal, a golden retriever, or a barn rat, and you can guess who is the barn rat in this analogy ?

Michael Miller
Live from Indy,
February 3, 2007

No comments: